Field Publicity came into existence in 1953 with 32 Field Publicity Units under
the control of four Regional Offices. The set-up was created under the integrated
publicity programme named "Five Year Plan Publicity Organization". The
Ministry directly exercised administrative control over the Units and Regional Offices.
Later a full-fledged Directorate was constituted in 1959 to supervise and control
the activities of the Regional Offices and the Field Publicity Units and it came
to be called "Directorate of Field Publicity".
After the Sino-India war in 1962 and the Indo-Pak War in 1965, some radical changes
in the approach and working of DFP became necessary in view of the urgent need for
boosting the nation’s morale and for mentally preparing the people to meet any external
threat. Accordingly, 34 more new units were created in 1963 and another 33 in 1965
for publicity exclusively in the border areas. Presently, out of the present
strength of 207 Field Units, 72 are Border Units.